Trump first suggested North Korea wasn’t responsible for Otto Warmbier’s death. Now he’s walking it back. | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Trump first suggested North Korea wasn’t responsible for Otto Warmbier’s death. Now he’s walking it back.

President Donald Trump can be shamed into (kind of) walking back comments that reflect kindly on known tyrants — all it takes is resounding criticism that overshadows any of his related accomplishments.

After receiving widespread negative coverage of comments he made earlier this week appearing to absolve North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in the death of Otto Warmbier, a US student who died after being imprisoned in North Korea for over a year, Trump said Friday he was “misinterpreted.”

At a summit between the US and North Korea earlier this week, Trump was asked by reporters if he had confronted Kim about Warmbier’s death. The president confirmed that he did ask about the young American’s mysterious death in 2017, and said he believed Kim “felt badly,” but claimed to have known nothing about it at the time.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA